Prior U.S. Travel (IV)


Bong Voyage, our perpetual immigrant visa applicant, is at the U.S. Embassy for his visa interview.

Consul Jimmy Murdochs:  Good morning, Mr. Voyage.  I see you are applying today for an E3 employment visa.  Have you ever left the Philippines before?

Bong Voyage:  Yes, I have been to the United States.

Consul:  What was the purpose of your travel?

Bong Voyage:  I went to visit my sister, who lives in Seattle.  We like to have family reunions at her house there.  I traveled on a B1/B2 tourist visa.

Consul:  I’m glad you had a good trip.  How many times did you go to the U.S., and what was your longest stay there?

Bong Voyage:  I only went twice—once in 2005 for three months and again in 2010 for nine months.

Consul:  Normally the Department of Homeland Security/Customs and Border Patrol (DHS/CBP) will allow visitors on B1/B2 visas to stay in the U.S. for only six months.  How were you able to stay in 2010 for nine months, sir?

Bong Voyage:  I requested an extension of stay, and DHS granted it to me.  I left the U.S. before the date they indicated in my approval notice.

Consul:  Do you have a copy of the extension approval?  Do you also have your old passport with your valid B1/B2 visa in it?

Bong Voyage:  No, sir, I didn’t know I needed to bring them to my immigrant visa interview…

Consul:  Don’t worry, you can submit them through the courier service.  Everything seems to be in order, but we will need to check your extension approval and cancel your B1/B2 visa before issuing your E3 immigrant visa.

Bong Voyage:  Thank you for this information.  I will go home and look for these documents and submit them right away.

13 thoughts on “Prior U.S. Travel (IV)

  1. Annalynn had her interview and approval March 29th for K1. How long can we expect for the printing and 2go delivery to Tagum/ Davao for pick up?

    • Thank you for your interest in the ViSAtisfied Voyager. For specific information regarding your visa case, please send an email to, with the applicant’s complete name, case number, and current contact information clearly indicated.

  2. I actually would certainly like to say thank you for this valuable educational contribution. You can’t envision how long it needed me to uncover your website and this handy information and facts. Looking forward to come across more articles like this. Have a wonderful day.

  3. Good Day!

    My tourist visa will expire on June 2012 under my maiden name, Christina Lee. I am now married. Can I still use my maiden name to apply for tourist visa or I need to use my married name already?
    Looking forward to your response. Thank you.

    Christina Lee- Pelias

    • Hi Cristina. You should apply using the name that is in your passport. You should also make sure you complete the Other Names used field in your DS-160.

  4. Dear Sir,

    Warm Greetings!

    My US visa expired last June 16, 2010. I had intended to apply for a renewal last month when I discovered that all my old passports and other pertinent documents were missing. I had exhausted all efforts to locate them but to no avail. I have been to the US six (6) times in the past wherein 2 of my stays were extended. The first one was extended for less than a month , and the 2nd one was more or less 4 months. Those extensions, however, were duly approved by the US Immigration and Deportation Dept. I understand that all visa applicants are required to bring their old passports and other pertinent documents to expedite visa interview and processing. In this connection, what am I supposed to bring during my visa interview? Sir, may I offer the information that last year I was awarded a free round trip ticket to the US by HSBC and Cathay Pacific which will expire on JUne 30, 2012. I hope and pray that you will be able to help me on my predicaments. Thank you very much.

    • If you are applying for a nonimmigrant visa, you must bring all the basic application requirements provided in our website including the interview appointment letter, DS-160 confirmation page, valid passport, one 2” x 2” photo. You may need to bring additional requirements depending on the visa class you are applying for. Please look at the Types of Visas page and view the details for each visa class. If you lost your old passports, then you need to provide this information in your DS-160 application.

  5. Dear Sir/Madam;

    My mother is currently an immigrant visa holder. But she’s been here in the Philippines for 3yrs already. Now she has decided to go back to the US. What are the things we need to comply first? We badly need your assistance. Looking forward to your reply.

    Thank you!

    • Thank you for posting a comment on VISAtisfied Voyager, U.S. Embassy Manila’s visa blog.
      Your mother may have lost her Lawful Permanent Resident status, as she was out of the United States for a period of more than 12 months. Because of this, she may need to apply for “Returning Resident” status or be re-petitioned if she cannot demonstrate that her stay outside the United State was outside her control. Full information on this can be accessed on our website:

  6. Hi,

    Great post so thankyou for this.

    I have a j1 visa interview coming up and have been asked to bring all previous passports with me. I have managed to track down one previous passport but my oldest passport from over 15 years ago has been destroyed. This passport was from my country of birth and have stated in the ds 160 application that I did once have another nationality but do not have the passport from that country

    Is this going to be an issue for my interview or are they just wanting to see recently expired passports (from the last 5 or so years)?

    Thanks for your help

    • Kramer, please bring all previous passports that you have to your interview. If you have lost/misplaced a previous passport, please indicate this on your DS-160.

  7. Hi,

    I came to this page after a google search. My parents have visited me here in the US in 2006 on a B2 visa and they stayed for 10 months after obtaining an approval for extension of their stay. Now I am trying to invite them to visit me again for a few months. On the consular website, it says that my parents need to bring the original approval notice for their visa extension to the interview. However, we might have misplaced or lost the extension notices for their last stay. Would this be a problem for their getting a new B2 visa?

    Thanks for your help.

    Best regards,

    • Hi Wei. Visa applicants who have previously traveled to the US and have extended their stay are required to bring to their interview a copy of the USCIS approval notice for extension of stay. If your parents are unable to bring the extension notice, then they should be ready to explain to the consular officer why they are unable to present the document.The consular officer would determine the applicants eligibility for nonimmigrant visas at the time of interview. To qualify for the visa, applicants should be able to demonstrate sufficiently strong familial, social, professional and economic ties to a country outside the United States that would compel departure after temporary stay in the United States. Consular officers may also look at applicants previous stays in the U.S. Thank you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>