B-1 Visas for Domestic Help

Holders of Nonimmigrant B, E, F, H, I, J, L, O, P, and Q visas (NIV), and U.S. citizens planning temporary stays in the United States, are eligible in some cases to be accompanied by personal employees during their visit to the United States.

To be eligible for a B-1 visa, the employer of the applicant must either be an American citizen or a foreign national in one of the aforementioned nonimmigrant statuses. Personal employees of all lawful permanent residents (LPRs) may not receive a B-1 visa. Rather, they must obtain permanent resident status themselves.

Before a domestic employee comes in for their consular interview, it is important that the employer read and follow the guidelines on our website. The NIV website contains information on the specific documents that the applicant must bring with them to the interview.

It is unnecessary for an officer to interview an employer. Therefore, if the employer accompanies his/her domestic helper to the interview, he or she will not be admitted to the Embassy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>