How to Return Your I-94 (NIV)

If you were working in the U.S. and returned home with your I-94 (white form) or I-94W (green form) in your passport, it means that your departure from the U.S. was not recorded properly.  It is your responsibility to correct this record; otherwise, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) may conclude you remained in the U.S. beyond your authorized stay.  If this happens, the next time you apply to enter the U.S., your visa may be subject to cancellation or you may be returned to the Philippines.

You must contact DHS about your departure from the U.S.  You should send them a letter explaining what happened, and include information about when you departed the U.S.  You may want to consider sending DHS the following information to support your claim: 

  • Original boarding passes used to depart the U.S.
  • Photocopies of entry/departure stamps in the passport
  • Dated pay slips from employer indicated you worked in another country after departing the U.S.
  • Dated bank records showing transition in another country after departing the U.S.
  • Dated credit card receipts

You must mail legible copies or original materials.  If you send original materials, you should retain a copy.  Send the letter and additional information to the following address only:

1084 South Laurel Rd.
London, KY  40744 USA

4 thoughts on “How to Return Your I-94 (NIV)

  1. I overstayed for about 9 months in the USA. What consequences will i be facing? My B1/B2 will expire on February 28, 2017. Would i still have a possibility to visit the USA. At first, i don’t have the intention to stay longer, but i was promised by a relative to help me get a work visa. I became impatient to the promises given to me. Until such time that i was offered a job in Africa, i grabbed the opportunity since i don’t want to stay longer and hide as an illegal immigrant. Now i am currently working as a lecturer in an Arab country. Do i have still have the prospect of going back to visit the USA after expiration of my visa or what action should i do? The institution where i am working had offered me before to be a representative in an international conference, but i declined it since, i know i would be facing a problem given my previous record. Please help me on this matter.

    • Hi Jeff. If you overstayed your visa, you should not attempt to reenter the U.S. on this visa. If you have overstayed your authorized period of admission, you may no longer use the visa with which you entered the United States under the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act Section 222(g). This section of law renders void the visas of nonimmigrants who remain in the United States “beyond the period of stay authorized by the Secretary of Homeland Security.” Depending on the length of your overstay in the United States you may be ineligible to reenter the United States for a number of years after your last trip departure.

  2. During my mom’s last trip to the US, she overstayed for 5 months but her extension of stay had been approved by USCIS. She tried to apply for non-immigrant visa so she could visit us and see her grandkids. She had been denied thrice. Does she need to send a copy of her approved form? Is there any Appeal process since she has been denied thrice already?

    • Lynn, there is no appeal process; U.S. immigration law delegates the responsibility for issuance or refusal of visas to consular officers overseas. If your mother would like to apply again, she should bring her approved extension with her. However, the consular officer may or may not ask to view it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>