Special Election in the Golden State

On March 25, 2011, in Voting, by Hyderabad ACS

On Tuesday, May 17, 2011, there will be a special primary election held in the 36th Congressional District of California to fill the seat vacated by Representative Jane Harman. The election is being conducted as a Top-Two Primary. If one candidate receives a majority of the votes (50% + 1) in the special primary election, the special general election scheduled for July 12, 2011 will not be held. If no candidate wins a majority, the top two vote-getters (regardless of political party affiliation) will compete in the special general election.

To determine if your legal residence is in the 36th Congressional District, click on www.house.gov. The district, in its entirety, is located within Los Angeles County.

All members of the U.S. Uniformed Services, their family members and citizens residing outside the U.S. who are California residents from the 36th District, and who have requested and received ballots for the General Election on November 2, 2010, will automatically receive special election ballots and need not take any further action. Those who did not receive a ballot for the General Election on November 2, 2010, should complete and submit a registration and ballot request, Federal Post Card Application (FPCA, SF-76), unless they have already done so in calendar year 2011. The online version of the FPCA is available from the FVAP website by clicking on the State of California at www.FVAP.gov. The completed and signed FPCA may be submitted by email or fax, in addition to regular mail. To send the FPCA directly by email or fax, send to:

Email: militaryoverseasav@rrcc.lacounty.gov

Los Angeles County Fax: (562) 462-2354, (562) 462-3035, (562) 864-2394, or (562) 864-6786

Or, use the following toll-free fax numbers through FVAP for the U.S. and Canada:

1-800-368-8683, (703) 693-5527 or DSN 223-5527 (military).

At www.fvap.gov/contact/tollfreefax.html, there is a list of additional toll-free fax numbers from overseas countries.

The emailed or faxed FPCA should include a Transmittal Cover Sheet, which may be found at http://www.fvap.gov/resources/media/coversheet.pdf After e-mailing or faxing, send the original post-marked FPCA by mail.

Tuesday May 2, 2011 is the last day to register to vote in the election. If you intend to mail your FPCA, allow sufficient time for your county elections official to receive your request and get your blank ballot to you.

California allows members of the U.S. Uniformed Services, their family members and overseas citizens to return ballots by mail or fax. If returning the marked ballot by fax, you must sign an oath waiving your right to cast your ballot secretly by completing and signing the waiver on the Transmittal Cover Sheet found at: www.fvap.gov/resources/media/coversheet.pdf. Under California law, while you may receive a blank ballot by email, you may not return a voted ballot by email. All voted ballots must be received by the county elections official before the polls close at 8:00 pm in California on May 17, 2011.

If voters are concerned about not receiving their ballot in time to vote, they may use the Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB, SF-186). The FWAB instructions are available at www.FVAP.gov. The FWAB is also available in embassies and consulates and military installations around the world.

California State specific information on the Special Primary Election is available at the California Secretary of State’s website at: www.sos.ca.gov/elections/elections_mov.htm.

Visit the FVAP website at www.FVAP.gov or contact FVAP via 1-800-438-8683. Citizens may reach the FVAP toll-free from 67 countries using the toll-free numbers listed on the FVAP website, www.fvap.gov/contact/tollfreephone.html. Questions may be referred to the Director, Federal Voting Assistance Program, Department of Defense, 1155 Defense Pentagon, Washington, DC 20301-1155 or at: vote@fvap.gov.

Leave a Reply